Thursday, March 18, 2010

Baby Goats, A Sign of Spring!

Baby Goats, A Sure Sign of Spring (Mini's of a Different Sort)

Besides the normal signs of spring, warmer weather, greener grass and early spring blooms, my father-in-law, 'Papa', had six sets of twin goats born at his house this week! That is a sure sign of spring to me and they are so cute, gentle, sweet and cuddly, I had to share them. I guess they are a 'mini' all their own. These are part Boar goat so the babies are about the size of an adult cat when born and are covered in soft hair. Most of Papa's are mostly white with some blonde, reddish and brown markings but one little fellow has a black velvet head and markings. I named him Jasper. For the first few days, they are weak and some are not able to stand at all or only wobbly. But after a few days, they are up wagging their little tails, bleating for Mama, drinking milk and beginning to play together running, jumping and climbing on any little hillock they can find.
This litttle sweet one was resting in the shade. When they are this age, you can easily approach them, photograph them and gently pick them up to cuddle. The Mama's watch from a short distance answering their bleats if they call.
Jasper is trying to keep up with Mom as she moves quickly away from the photographer.
Here a little one is catching a mid-afternoon meal.
Joanna loves to hold them and talk to them. If she keeps physical contact with them weekly, they will come to her when they are grown.

Didn't get much done on the mini-ing front this week except for working on some swaps which will be revealed when they arrive. Maggie, 19, had leg pain so had to have a Doppler vein study today to rule out a blood clot and, thankfull, none was found. So hopefully will get to mini tomorrow before I go back to work Saturday.

18 comments:

Debbie said...

They are so cute. Thanks for sharing the pictures. xxx

Deb said...

Those goats are adorable! Your blog looks very pretty too.

miniannalee said...

Oh I love goats. When I was little we had 3 goats one was named Jasper. I just love the way goat smell... lol.. The babies are so funny bouncing around if you sit down in the pen with them they will climb on your head and play king of the mountain.. This really makes me miss being around goats.

Jean Day said...

So adorable, thank you so much for sharing these, wonderful miniatures. We just don't get to see anything like that where I live, definatly spring!

Norma said...

They're adorable, I'm a big fan of goats. They're darned intelligent in my opinion, we had a Sannen (spelling??) nanny at our cottage for quite a while. We used to have 'conversations' back and forth when I was working in the garden.

Pandora said...

Oh they are so sweet. Spring is finally here :-)

Glenda said...

Jody, they're lovely!!
I have a soft spot for goats - I was born in the year of the goat, Alan says I'm stubborn like one!
These babies are gorgeous.
Glenda

Catherine said...

Awwww They are so cute!!! I would love to hold one of those babies.

Catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evelien said...

They are adorable! It's so much fun when they start to recognize you and "talk" to you.
We have baby sheep at the moment and they are very cute too.

Hope your Maggie is ok soon.

groetjes evelien

Little Time Wasters said...

I have nothing original to say, so I'll copy everyone else; they are soooooo cute!

Eva said...

So so cute!! ;)

dale said...

I want a baby goat!!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Awww! They are so cute. Thanks for sharing with us. Your daughter is such a pretty girl.

Peach Blossom Hill said...

Thanks for all of the sweet comments about the goats and my little girl! Unfortunately one little fellow died but that is nature's way of taking care of the weakest ones. They are fun to watch playing together as they grow. I may post another pix of them in a little group some time!

Jody

dale said...

oh, how sad, which one was it? Is your daughter upset about it? :(

Peach Blossom Hill said...

I'm not sure which one it was--sometimes when new mothers have babies, they don't make it and sometimes, as in people, one twin will get most of the nutrition and strength and the other will be born too weak to make it. Joanna, being a little farm girl, is sad about it when one dies but she understands that it is part of life and she doesn't cry--unless she got too attached to a particular one. She was okay with it in this case even though it is sad to lose them! Thanks for asking, Dale.

Kim said...

I love goats soooo much- I hope that I can get one or two when my hubby and I retire and I have the proper time to care for them correctly. There is just something so charming about a goat- wish I could come cuddle them with Joanna.