Saturday, December 12, 2009

Furnished Dollhouse at Hospice of the Carolina Foothills

Furnished Dollhouse at Hospice of the Foothill Carolinas Thrift Barn

My friend, Tammy, let me know that there was a fully furnished dollhouse up for auction at the Hospice of the Carolinas Thrift Barn in Landrum, http://www.hocf.org/services/thrift_barn.php my hometown. So, as my Dad and I were heading to the cemetery to place Christmas greenery and bows on several graves, including that of my mother who died of cancer seven years ago, I told him I'd come up his way and we'd go see the dollhouse. You can read the poignant story about Lisa Owens who lovingly built it and furnished it but sadly lost her battle to diabetes in 1997. Her parents donated the dollhouse and to add to its bittersweet story, a man who is also under Hospice care and has a bad tremor, took all of the accessories out of the plastic bags labeled as to which rooms they belonged and put it all back together including the individual books in the bookcase and tiny figurines throughout the house. They graciously allowed me to take pix and to post about the house in my blog. The house is up for auction until December 19th and they are hoping to raise as much as they can for this valuable operation. As Hospice is dear to our hearts, I hope some local folks will see this and want this beautiful house for a special person in their lives. And to all, in case I don't get to blog much between now and then, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!