Friday, August 14, 2009

Bunny Rug Attempt and Official Documents

My Attempt at One of Joan Grimord's Rugs

I've sent this pix of my nearly completed attempt at her punch needle bunny rug to Joan Grimord to see if she thinks the 'extra small' needle for the Cameo Punch is actually not small enough for her little rugs. I'm not entirely happy with this poor little guy but he is going in Joanna's nursery anyway when he's finished. I teach quilting classes, do thread paintings, mastered heirloom sewing and smocking but punch needle is kicking me! And, my gosh, the technique is pretty simple: Punch, drag, Punch, drag . . . . .
I finally put up our building permit--good thing we weren't fined before now having not posted it!
Now I know all of you true mini artisans in our little blogging community usually show your exquisitely beautiful finished--and perfect--creations. But being an old country shoe as I am, I show the good, the bad and the ugly. This is the progress I've made so far--the roof gave me some difficulties and I admit having to go at it with a hammer to loosen the wood glue and reposition it but I am bursting with pride: I didn't have to whine to DH! So give me a gold button. I 'done' it my own self. So there.

And as an aside, I'm actually thinking of opening an Etsy store for mini's. Between my part-time job and three children, I can't put a ton of things in but I've either got to augment my little part-time gig or go to work digging graves (about what my late great 'liberal arts' degree and my resume which screams, "Has avoided full-time employment like the plague" will qualify me for). Hay isn't selling gang busters this year and we're still trying to climb out of the hole life left us in in April when everone's cars had to have major repairs at once and some of the household appliances joined in the melee for fun and DH had to have $800 worth of wisdom teeth removed. Anyone have any advice or suggestions about Etsy mini shops?

11 comments:

rosanna said...

Hi Jody, I cannot understand what punch needle is... It's appealing, it gives that nice furry look but I've never seen anyhtng like that overhere.On Etsy affair you could ask Hanna Hejiolona, she does felted animals and she opened an Etsy quite recently. Have a nice evening Rosanna

Eva said...

I do not know much about Etsy shop but the mini rug looks beuatiful....
I am not so good with the needle so...

Tiffany said...

Jody, I think your rug looks beautiful! But I also know that sometimes I am not happy with my creations, no matter what what anyone says. I punch needle too and I think it just takes a lot of practice and trial and error to figure it all out.

I show my building all the way through too. I like to see the progression. Keep up the good work! I enjoy your blog.

Liberty Biberty said...

Hi Jody,
I LOVE the bunny rug. I had a latch hook bunny rug kit that I was going to make for Noah's room when he was a baby but it never got finished, I thought I might finish it for Liberty (8 years later!!) but alas no! Maybe a mini rug would be achievable!
Great work on the house roof, always very satisfying not to have to rely on the help of a hubby!
To me you sound like a wonder woman with such a busy life!
Mercedes

hannajaleijona said...

Welcome to Etsy, Jody!!! It will be fun. Do start a shop and do join a team, if you wish to. There is amazing amount of support and advice to be found there. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. I'd be glad to help any way I can. Putting up a shop is quite straight-forward, the programs tells you what to do and the shop itself is free. You pay only for the things you list and the sales you make. Listing takes time, but it is not difficult. With your skills I would expect you to succeed. You tend to put yourself down, you know? It's not needed, you're great!

The Carolina Quilter said...

Thank you for all of your kind comments--I am thinking of opening an Etsy shop if I can produce enough to keep it going! I appreciate the encouragement.

Jody

Debbie said...

Jody I love the little rug. It will look lovely in the farmhouse. Good Luck with Etsy. x

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like the rug - you are doing a great job. The house is really coming along. Wish I could say the same for the one I am working on the inside. Sorry - can't help on the Etsy shop info. as I know nothing about it.

cousin Deb said...

I love your little rug but I cannot do it at all! I hope you do set up an Etsy shop, I love that place. Also, do you ship your hay to Canada? This has been a terrible summer for hay in Atlantic Canada.;)

Kim said...

I think your rug looks fab! The house looks great- thank goodness you have your permit posted now- don't want any troubles! Good luck on your etsy shop- I think you would do very well!

Maia's Twinkle Miniatures said...

I think the rug is very nice!
Congratulations on the roof, I can imagine you feel proud, it's well deserved. :)
Maia