Monday, July 6, 2009

A Welcome, Progress, A Serial Killer and an Award

A Welcome, Progress on the Mini's Front, A Serial Killer and an Award

I would like to welcome more followers--I now have 100! Makes me feel popular and accomplished. Thank you! I'd also like to welcome Evelyn Fontaine of Brussells who has a new blog, Les Carnets de l'Atelier Blondie, http://lescarnetsdelatelierblondie.blogspot.com/ which I am now following. Such beautiful work and attention to detail. She is an artisan.

These two pix show a new roombox I ordered from Steve Harvey on Minatures Only for only $20! I love it, have stained the exterior and am playing with the arrangement of mini's I have collected to eventually do a roombox for my daughter's college president. After hearing him speak on several occasions and meeting him, I was so impressed with him, I was inspired to do a roombox in honor of both my Dad who graduated from the college and my oldest daughter, Maggie. My DH, 'housing inspector' for my mini endeavors, however, says the light-colored desk is not good enough--it needs to be dark. He picked out a Bombay type with a mahogany finish. Hmm.
This is a pix of my garden shed which limps along. I have been so disappointed with my terrible exterior I tried with Paperclay. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

And this is the Gaffney 'peachoid' water tower. Gaffney has been in the news, both regionally and nationwide because we have a SERIAL KILLER in our midst. First, let me explain the 'peachoid'. It is a water tower that sits beside Interstate 85. Our Upstate region of South Carolina once grew more peaches per capita than the entire state of Georgia which calls itself the Peach State. Gaffney still grows a large number of peaches despite the urban sprawl and development everywhere. And Gaffney is probably 35 to 45 minutes' drive from us here in Inman--and parts of Cherokee County are even closer to our Spartanburg County. The serial killer has now taken the lives of five people binding and shooting them. The first was a well-known peach and hay farmer, Cash Kline, two were a elderly mother and retired school teacher and her 50-some-year-old daughter, also a teacher (and related by marriage to a relative of my mother-in-law's), and the last two were a business owner and father and his teenaged daughter who clung to life with a gunshot wound to the head until she died two days later. It is very scary and we are ALL ARMED around here (giving credence to those normally false rumors that everyone in the US South is armed to the teeth with a hair-trigger finger) and with every little bump in the night, we get up to investigate. The FBI and law enforcement from all neighboring counties including those from western North Carolina are all involved in the investigation. And as my husband is a hay farmer who sells to the public and the first victim, Mr. Kline was last seen by his wife talking to the killer who approached him about buying hay, all the youth in our church are very concerned about Jerry and say he needs to take down his 'hay for sale' sign. It's very sobering and scary so to those who are so inclined, please say your prayers that he is caught and for the families he has destroyed. Mr. Kline had just been on the news recently saying he intended to retire from peach farming to spend more times with his grandchildren. Now, he won't get that chance.
I would like to award the For the Love of Reading Award from Doreen (as seen in my last post before I got the new baby modem and now have consistent internet once again) to:

Debbie at Tiny Treasures (if you haven't already received it!)
Kim at It's a Miniature Life
Katie at Katie's Clay Corner
Donna at Never Enough Time
and Glenda at MidSouth.

The rules are:
1- collect the book that you have most handy.
2- Turn to page 161.
3- Find the 5th complete sentence.
4- Cite the sentence on your blog.
5- Pass it to 5 other blogs

14 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad you got your new modem. Your minis look great - love the shed. I heard about the news in your area :-( Thanks for the award - I will have to come back to participate. No books within reach right now and I am posting on the run this morning.
Glenda

Katie said...

Oh My!!! My best friend lives in Gaffney...Didn't realize you were so close:)

I will get to the award when I find another book, the closet to me right now is the Atlas of the world....lol, Wonder what is on page 161??? LOL....

...So whatcha tring to do on the outside of the garden shed??? The inside looks amazing since the last time I saw it!!! :)

A. Wright said...

:o Oh my goodness that is very frightening. As the saying goes, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Two words: Pepper Spray

In any event grats on 100 readers :D

Liberty Biberty said...

The garden shed is looking very pretty!
We heard all the bad news here too. Our thoughts are with you.
Mercedes

Linda Carswell said...

Jody, thank you for the link to Evelyne...I had a lovely visit!!
Keep safe...Linda

My Journey Home... said...

Thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog! It's good to here from people who share similar stories...I was in a very similar situation as your daughter this time last year. It was so hard and sometimes still is, but God showed me his faithfulness and still never ceases to amaze me.

I'm glad you are a Clemson fan - I had the best 4 years of my life there =)

Oh - and I love your miniatures. Really impressive with all those details!

cousin Deb said...

So I was telling my hubby about the serial killer and that your hubby sells hay and he wants me to find out how much you charge!
Stay safe.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Hi Jody - Thanks for visiting, and your compliment on the jewelry. My arm does look beter today, but will keep a close eye on it for a while.
Have a great weekend.
Glenda

Caseymini said...

Speaking of awards, Jody. You have one over at my blog. Please stop by and collect it.

Matthew Tripp said...

The wheel of Buddhist terms poster Velcro modular wall mural game. Doctoral dissertation for philosophy, title: The Interpenetration of Buddhist Practice and Classroom Teaching. Technocracy Ethics USA censorship Chinese military intelligence genius clones.

PARASITIC SPECIES INFESTATION alien robot telescope spaceship: audiobook getting things done (GTD is the tag), the first few tracks of PALE BLUE DOT are good, as we transition to a knowledge based global society

as computing power increases exponentially and ubiquitous web enabled sensors allow for immersion in context relevant buddhist or ethics perspective, national broadband plan...

dharmaprinting.com augmented reality sociology subject index and table of contents Chinese military intelligence genius clones life energy word abacus sustainability transmission measurement context mapping twitter.com/globalcide is me Google for EXTINCTCULTURE please let me know what you think about this topic computer.org/pervasive (FOLDING@HOME and BIONIC software's, engineering 450 million new species to make deserts habitable or telepathic ecosystem maintenance) autodesk inventor prototyping software for genetics use the audio book list on audibles.com to build course of life coaching training young orphan people to be CIA certified ethical hackers download free at nowtorrents.com because if the current post world war 2 education system was meant to produce factory workers (not critical thinking curriculum video from best teacher nationally then teachers answer questions and do research while the kids watch, pause for Q+A, the videos podshifter software for iTunesU ) how much worse is this continuation of using the bible koran instead of critical mass ecosystem dynamics physics logistics?

google for flashcard database

subliminal education psychological profiling HDTV prenhall.com/dabbagh/

MIT OCW designing your life. The art of war flashcard deck, wikipedia article audio book the 48 laws of power... RAW stem cells movies: Eagle EYE, Minority Report, (gps and audio recording + all video survelance to DVR on web for all probation and parole ankle monitors, put more people on them and use software to monitor them, the probation or parolee pays for the ankle monitor and then gives it back to the probation office then the next probation pays for it again, thus buying another one) broadcom is makeing new version of these chips every two months now GPS + Bluetooth + WiFi + FM combo chip)
audio + video security DVR in juvinile prisons with audiobooks streaming leave the headphones you buy behind for the next inmate

lifehack.org/articles/productivity/the-ultimate-student-resource-list.html

selfmadescholar.com/b/self-education-resource-list

web 2.0 directories: ziipa.com and go2web20.net USE THE TAGS cloud, also lifehacker.com and lifehack.org SHARE 99ebooks.blogspot.com via: care2.com/click2donate or thehungersite.com and gizmodo.com/tag/ecomodo click every tab every day with iMacro, smarterfox, delicious, colorful tabs, TOOMANYTABS, WebMynd extensions for the new firefox 3.5 browser.

youtube.com/homeproject

Un Taller de Miniaturas said...

Beautiful blog and great work!!:-D
From now on I'll follow your blog, it's very interesting...!

Best regards,
Paloma

hannajaleijona said...

Thank you Jody for your kind words at my blog and You're too modest. Your work is great!

Ara said...

How scary for a serial killer to be out and about... I do pray for your family and all those he has already taken people from :( My father's company builds water towers so I always enjoy seeing the ones that are decorated!!! They'd have pictures of them in his office! This may be one of theirs...I'll have to ask :) BTW - your projects are lovely! I am so excited to follow along!! -ara

Chris said...

OMG! I love you mini garden! I tried paperclay as well and so far so good. I just painted the house as I went along...but then some did fall off and I had to glue them back on, but besides that it has been fine.