Friday, June 5, 2009

Houston, We Have Liftoff!!!!

Houston, We Have Liftoff!

Since Santa lugged the heavy box in on Christmas Eve, Joanna's dollhouse has been sitting accusingly in the box nagging me with its calm stare every time I've passed by. Yesterday, we got all the pieces out, labeled all the ones we could identify (?) and I actually glued the foundation framework together--and it seems to be square!!!!!! I know! I can't believe it either! We also stopped by Lowe's to get paint samples to bring home and mull over.

I also managed to get a sewing shadow box completed to try to sell at the Landrum Quilt Show next week. Now, I'm better at creating than pricing so if anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. Plus the shadow box, the hutch was an unfinished one from Manor House, some of the tidbits were from Paper Mini's and some of the accessories from various companies. The quilt I printed on Printed Treasures by Milliken (which is just down the road from me) and quilted with silk thread. The chair was from a kit by, oh, what's the company that did so many kits???!!! Can't recall.






Sorry for the glare from the glass but couldn't photograph it without it. This last photo is my latest thread painting on silk, roughly 4" x 6" and based on a photo by my friend, Edgar Woodfin, of a river in Tuxedo, North Carolina. This is sort of what I do, I guess in my semi-professional life. I kind of specialize in landscape quilts with thread painting but this is purely painted silk and thread.
Lastly, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! to all who welcomed me back to the world of mini's after my hiatus! Hopefully, I'm back for good now despite the curves life can throw!







10 comments:

Caseymini said...

Your silk thread painting is incredible!!!! Thankyou for showing it.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love the sewing room & the painting is beautiful.
Glenda

Katie said...

WOW! That silk thread painting is beautiful!! I bet a lot of work went into that!!

Love the sewing room!!! I have no offers on what to price it for though...sorry, Pricing is not my thing either. But I wouldn't cut yourself cheap on it either....it's too pretty!!

When I first popped over here and saw that you had the house out, I got exicted. Never thought about writing done what peice is what piece on the actual pieces, smart idea!! This is is really easy to build...At least I thought so...But, it's big:) If ya'll get stuck on anything, I can try and help.....Can't wait to see what you do with it. Maybe this is the motivation I need to finish mine!!!

MiniKat said...

What gorgeous pieces of artwork! I love the silk thread painting...breath-taking is a good word for it. The sewing room is fantastic!

I was once asked if I would sell one of my roomboxes. I told the inquiring person that the one in question wasn't for sale, but I could create a similar one for $250.

I would figure up your cost by first adding up the values (original) costs of the minis you put in the room. If you don't recall then look for similar items in mini catalogs for a price.

Then add in the costs of the kits, plus the price difference of a kit versus a finished piece of furniture of the same type.

Next add in the cost of materials for your structure.

By this point if the number isn't something over $100, we it should be. I personally would pay $125 for the piece if I was able. But I understand how much work went into it.

People who frequent quilt shows should have an understanding of time, talent, and resources.

Hope this helped!

Doreen said...

Thread painting? I have never heard of that but the finished product is fantastic. I just love it! Beautiful job. The sewing room is also great but I have no idea of worth. I have never sold anything nor do I buy.

Kathy Calhoun said...

Hurray!! I'm so happy the farmhouse is going up. It will be so beautiful!!!

What is the river in your shadow box? I was raised in NC. It was like seeing a little piece of home.

Jemjoop said...

This is a beautiful quilt room! Wonderful job! Jen

MiniMadWoman said...

Wow, you are sure a talented lady!

I love the sewing room! It's adorable and the teacup sitting on the sewing machine is such a sweet touch. I'm so bad at pricing things too, but I'd pay almost anything if I really loved a piece! Why don't you start out high and see what happens . . . maybe in the 90's? You can always lower it a little if need be. Gee, hope that helps!

I am in awe of your thread painting! I've never seen anything like it . . . it's beautiful and amazing!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Teresa

Eva said...

I love the sewing room, specially the patchwork quilt

Liberty Biberty said...

Great to see the dollhouse being built! Love your sewing roombox it's absolutely beautiful!
Mercedes