Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Do These Strawberries Look Fat to You?!

My Attempt at Fruit and Berries

One of my many mini projects is a kitchen room box based on a 40's/50's era kitchen pictured in a back issue of Reminisce magazine. There are berries and apples, a sifter, oil lamp, and dough rolled out ready to make a pie. I have been trying my hand at strawberries, blueberries and green apples lately and am not sure whether the strawberries, especially, are the correct size. Also, I baked some of the blueberries flat on the tile so you can see shiny, flat bottoms turned up (must remember to wear two pairs of reading glasses or one stronger pair when arranging these to photograph! The worse my eyesight gets, the smaller my hobbies!). I would appreciate critiques and suggestions from you who are professional 'foodies'. I am trying but have a long way to go!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I think it all looks Brilliant Jody. Well done you...

Sumaiya Mehreen said...

Are you using polymer clay, or the air dry kind? With polymer clay, I would suggest adding more translucent clay to the strawberry mix to get the "juicy" quality of the fruit. I like the mid sized strawberries. If you are doubtful about the fruit sizes, you might want to compare the fruits to the hand size of one of the 1:12 scale dolls, and see if the fruit looks like a giant version compared to the hand...

The Carolina Quilter said...

Thank you, Debbie and Sumaiya. Yes, they are polymer clay and seemed incredibly tiny to me but when I made several, they seemed too large. Scale is something I personally struggle with and I order some items which seem perfect in scale and others are either too small or too large. It's a good idea to compare to a doll's hand.

Jody

MiniKat said...

I would try blending your colors with some translucent clay. 1. It helps make the flesh look more like a piece of fruit. 2. It will make the whole thing look like it's full of juices.

Are you using FIMO or SculpeyIII? There is a sheen difference when they cure up. That difference can be great in some ways and terribly annoying in others.

As far as size goes, it looks like your mini chef was able to pick the fattest and most juicy berries from the patch. Sumaiya's idea of comparing them to the size od a doll's hand will be perfect if they still don't look quite right to you. That happens to me all the time. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think your minis look great. I'm trying to do a 50's style kitchen and am having a hard time finding appropriate appliances. Do you know of anywhere I could look?
Thanks
Debra

Katie's Clay Corner said...

Hi! I'm not a prefessional here, still trying to figure it out myself. I think adding translucent clay would help, good tip there! And try cooking your blue berries on batting.......I'll have to find out what kind, but I've seen it done. Strawberries are suppose to be big! You wouldn't pick a pweeny one would you:) I think they look really good, as do your apples!! :)