Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Few of the Things I Bought After Christmas

Here Are a Few of the Mini Goodies I Bought After Christmas

There are several miniature projects I'd like to accomplish/finish this year--a sort of list of mini resolutions if you will. The first is to finish the ongoing projects I have started, namely the fairy house since I did manage to throw together the witch's cottage at the last minute right in the nick of time before the witching hour of Halloween.

So, the fairy house needs to be completed--hopefully by spring. I envision offering to have it displayed at our main branch library (or, if they do not wish to do so, perhaps one of our lesser branches?!). I have a plethora of seashells, pine cones, trinkets fairies might pick up in their travels, pebbles, etc. so now to arrange them in a pleasing manner throughout the tree stump house.

Also, I was completely captivated by a vintage kitchen layout, circa 1947, in Reminisce magazine, I think the September or October issue, so have been collecting miniatures towards creating a kitchen much like it.

And then, of course, there is Joanna's Victoria's Farmhouse which is still in the box. Should I call it the Pandora's Box? I fear that when unleashed from the box, that kit will look as if it should have been in a cargo freight box as you might see traveling down the rails on a train car. I am much better at envisioning, planning and spending too much money collecting items to go inside than I am at the actual construction. And my good friend and fellow miniaturist, Gen, has graciously offered to help me as she has a VF already put together and mostly furnished but if she saw my basement where all the 'magic' of my varied arts and crafts endeavors take place. . . . she would politely withdraw that offer. You might think it is the lair of a deranged, albeit crafty maniacal lunatic. In fact, while I am off work today and should be headed down there to attempt some semblance of order, I am sitting here typing away . . .

And lastly, and you will laugh at this one, I was so blown away and impressed to the point of starting a cult when I first heard my daughter's college president address the students and parents--and then even more so when I read his biography and viewed his You Tube videos, I was inspired to create a room box for Dr. Benjamin Dunlap, President of Wofford College. My Dad graduated from Wofford in the early 50's and Maggie is happy as a clam there. There is a sense of community and appreciation on that campus that you don't experience on others. I grew up going to Wofford football games but, alas, did not choose to attend there (my great loss). I laugh at myself, a mere pauper by comparison, deigning to create a room box for a man who graduated summa cum laude from The University of the South, attended Harvard and has traveled internationally speaking and organizing lectures and events involving world-renowned individuals of great accomplishment. He is a published poet and fiction author and yet, he is as friendly, gracious and genuinely kind to us 'little people' when you meet him. As a very jaded, cynical person who is not impressed in the least with 'celebrities' or certainly the yawning majority of politicians, I was literally in tears that I had been stupid enough not to attend Wofford which was 30 minutes down the road from where I grew up and so, so thankful that Maggie is when I heard this man speak! When I reached out and grabbed him as he passed by at one of the football games to introduce him to my Dad, he acted as if he was thrilled at last to meet us. So, in honor of both my Dad and my precious daughter, I want to create a room box for Dr. Benjamin Dunlap who lives in the President's Home on campus. So, with my little pittance of a part-time salary and part of my Christmas money, I have ordered a black wingback and wallpaper with a gold filligree design (Wofford's colors are black and gold), pictured above, found a corner bookshelf that had been returned at A.C. Moore, and yesterday ordered a fireplace, electrified fire, a fire screen and fireplace tools. I hope to sculpt a Boston Terrier, the mascot and make a small Dr. D. to go in it. Wish me luck especially on those counts! My sculpting and mini doll making is in need of improvement. And, gee, I hope he doesn't spend his valuable time perusing miniature blogs since this is meant to be a surprise! Shhhhhh . . . . . .

4 comments:

Debbie said...

What a wonderful idea. I hope your share your project with us as you go along. Mini Hugs

kimsminiatures said...

Wonderful Jody, Isn't it fun to plan for a mini project? Can't wait to see it. Please share :)
Happy creating! Mini hugs.

Heather Cutting-Rayl said...

What an admirable pursuit! It reminds me of my Rose cottage which is also for a scholarly gentleman! Though no one in particular!
Not to bring up a sore subject... But isn't there a farmhouse to be built? I'm waiting for pictures!!!! LOL!! All that shabby chic furniture needs a home!

Daisy Carpi said...

I got a prize for you in my blog, go to receive, kiss