Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inspiration for My Mini Garden ShedWhere have I been? Hmmmm. .. Well, for spring break, we did manage to go to Myrtle Beach for a few days which was heaven. Then Monday, I went to Columbia, SC to give a thread painting program and workshop for a guild and there was all the preparation beforehand. Anyway, on the mini's front, I have been slowly working on my garden shed I intend to enter in the Hobby Builder's Supply contest. I have walls painted but then we decided that the ceiling should be taken out so now there is a line of painting that must be sanded and the upper part of the side walls painted now. I am still collecting as well and the inspiration I am using, among other sources, is this issue of Romantic Homes, specifically, the photo below.
I love this room from the issue pictured above, the May 2000 issue, Volume 13, No. 5. This garden shed was pictured in an article entitled Flight of Fancy. It featured a collection of blue birds by designer Janette Santini and her daughter, Tamara Hichman at their gift boutique and tea house, Buttercut Cottage. I have amassed quite a collection of accessories from various sources including eBay mini shops, HBS, and local antique malls--you have to search but some mini's are there and there are some jewelry pieces that can be adapted. I have also just subscribed to Jennifer's blog, http://theoldpaintedcottage.blogspot.com/. She not only has lots of inspirational pix and info on the romantic, shabby chic look but tons of links, photos and info. Fun! Now if only I could make a large sweeping motion with my hand and transform my own home into a beautiful shabby chic place. Unfortunately right now with our work and school schedules, it's just shabby, not chic. I'll post some progress on my garden shed as I make it. The current debate is how to do the floor. Jerry says stone work with Creative Paperclay. Now to look for pix for inspiration.

2 comments:

caitlin said...

When you submit your entry for the contest, do you have to identify the origins/artists of the pieces you have included?

Katie's Clay Corner said...

Thanks for the link to Jennifer's blog~ she has so many beautiful pictures!! It was great eye candy!!