Monday, March 31, 2008

Things for my Garden ShedTo make myself a deadline project, I am entering the Hobby Builders Supply Creatin' Contest and have partially assembled and painted my shed kit, The Adams. I've ordered several gardening items from Dollhouses and More, DeJoux Miniatures, Manor House Miniatures, HBS, and I've made a few items. Maggie, my oldest DD said to paint the potting table a rose color since I am going with a 'romantic', shabby chic look. The bee skep I made by gluing twine on a wooden form but I seem not to be able to find these little bee skep shapes anymore at Micheal's or Hobby Lobby. The arrangements I made with paper punches, card stock (have since learned I should be using thinner grades of paper--who knew!). The kitty is my first official attempt at sculpting an animal in polymer clay and furring it. I didn't think she was too bad for a first attempt.

No garden is complete without statuary and you have to have St. Francis, right? Thank heavens this contest is not over until December as between work, children, the occasional housecleaning, cooking and laundry that I feel compelled to do to keep my husband from throwing up his hands in defeat and walking out the door, it will take me at least that long to create all of the flowers, vines, trees, etc. that I hope to make inside the shed and around it.
I love the little wire plant stand and the porcelain pots from Dollhouses and More. If only the miniature flower fairy would help me whip up some gorgeous, realistic flowers to fill them with. Actually, Gail from GSOLFOT, the famous Green Sock on Left Foot Tuesday Yahoo Group of which I am a proud member, was kind enough to call me from Arizona, no less, to give me plenty of pointers, tips and techniques for flowers. Her's are exquisite and beautiful so now I have something to aspire to. Thank you, Gail.
Here is Kittty up close. As I say, I know she is not perfect but I've about decided that only God, Kerri Pajutee, Susan Cobb, Sarah Jane (sj) and a few other artists you can find on CDHM, Custom Dolls, Houses & Miniatures, can create 'perfect' animals (oh, God can create perfect animals without the quotation marks--the others to whose level of expertise I can only dream of aspiring--can create them pretty darn close to perfect).

2 comments:

Katie's Clay Corner said...

I have been staring at The Addams House for a week now. I have redrawn it, and redrawn it. I want to do an artist studio when I finally get around to ordering it! LOL...yes, good thing we have till December! I wanted to tell you I LOVE the cat!! It was your first?? Great Job!! keep us posted on how the house comes along...Nice to meet you! Katie

caitlin said...

That cat is the cat's meow! I love the expression on her face.