Thursday, March 15, 2007
Stonework, Amateur Style and Other Stuff
The first photo shows my first attempt at Paperclay stonework. Turns out my life's motto once again holds true, "Fools rush in where angels fear to trod." I was so excited about trying out this technique I sort of forgot that I needed to assemble the windows and glue them on before applying the paper clay. So I had to 'Dremel' out an opening for the bay window and will have to also sand away around the upper window to put it in. I guess I subscribe to Jerry's philosophy on the instruction sheets: It's the manufacturer's opinion of how a thing should be assembled.
The next photo is of the other side where I am going to put in a crooked chimney. I cut this out of 3/16" foam core board which is all Michael's had when I went in for more Paperclay the other day. I had to cut four layers to make it look large enough. They still have their rubber bands holding them together since I had to do some laundry and a small modicum of housecleaning on my rare day off and dye my hair back 'natural blonde' since my oldest daughter, Maggie and Jerry were pointing out that my roots were getting very gray (oh, the many minor plagues of the aging). And then I had a class to teach here at the shop last night. Anyway, I digress (and ramble--it's a habit). So, if I can figure out how to do these windows by actually referring to the instruction manual, I'll finish my Paperclay stonework on the outside as my harried schedule allows. Good thing I started this Halloween project in late winter.
The next photo is of the table I assembled and painted and it's first table cloth. I serged the edges with black thread and then used Stiffy fabric stiffener to try to get it to hang in a somewhat pleasing fashion. I've got black chiffon I intend to put on the top and gather in swags around the edge. This will be where the crystal ball, tarrot cards and like items will go. The lovely little pitcher I bought for $3 from 'beadcharmed' on Etsy and the gargoyle is my attempt to sculpt such a creature. I'm not completely happy with him but I'll try to tweek him a bit. And here, I need opionions. The perfume bottle I'm thinking of making into my Absinthe bottle. Is it too large for 1' to 1" scale? Anyone????
Another shot of the potions cupboard with more stuff added including a dish towel. I turned the edges under with glue, frayed the ends with a needle by pulling cross-woven threads and then used Stiffy to drape it over the edge. I also made Dead Man's Toes out of a mixture of purple, dark green and white Fimo rolled into a small log and cut and then indented with a sculpting tool for toenails. Unfortunately, you can't very well see these details but they are there as are the mouse bones in the Bones bottle which Joanna and I excavated from three owl pellets bought at Onlinesciencemall on eBay. I think I will take a few more pix to try to get better details and will post them if I can. These were all the shots Blogger would allow me per post. . . I think.
The last shot is of a fat quarter of Halloween batik I bought at a quilt show a few years ago. It may become the bedspread on my witch's bed--or curtains. I'll ponder this further.
Posted by Hampton Road Farms at 8:07 AM